Parable of the Sower Poster and Script
Here is a wonderful Mother Goose Time lesson plan you can use to teach children about the word of God and how we choose to plant it in our lives.
As you can see, (pictured below) the parable of the sower/farmer, illustrates this clearly. Here you will see the front side of the poster, which pictures what is described on the back (pictured below).
The girls loved this parable, and we discussed:
- Where do you think seeds prefer to grow? Why?
- What would you do if you were a seed tossed into a pile of rocks?
- What do you know about weeds?
- Why are roots important for a plant?
We discussed how this relates to our Bible verse.
"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness." - James 3:17-18
The girls enjoyed this prayer, which they glued onto the back of their Bird Crafts.
"Father God, I love you. Please help me to take your words and let them grow strong in my heart. In Jesus' name. Amen."
- Card stock or construction paper cut into a bird shape
- Craft stick (optional, my girls didn't want the craft stick on their birds)
- Blue and yellow construction paper
- Wiggly eyes
- Markers or crayon
(Mother Goose Time included most of the above supplies.)
Note: My younger daughter really wanted a blue bird, so I traced the red bird included onto blue construction paper and glued it onto a recycled file folder to make it stronger.
- Read the Bible verse above and read the prayer.
- Talk about how special birds are and how the child is even more precious to God.
- Use the paper and makers or crayons to decorate the bird.
- Use glue to attach the wiggly eye to the front of the bird and the craft stick to the back of the bird.
- Write the above prayer on the back of the bird (optional thing we decided to do.)
Growing God's Word Planting and Bible Verse Craft
Ask: How can we grow in God?
- Read Joshua 1:8
Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
- Invite children to decorate the outside of their pot.
- Fill the pot with soil. Make a small hole and plant the seed.
- Attach the Bible verse sign to the craft stick with glue or tape and put it into the pot.
- Read the Bible verse and add a small amount of water to the soil.
The girls took out their seeds. They studied the developing roots, and then planted them again in their pots and watered them.