Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Adventures of a Preschool Archerer and Escape Artist

Today, my daughters had a very busy day.  Everyday is busy, but today was especially exhausting. Oh, but it was fun... And scary.


Archery


We began our day traveling to their homeschool P.E. The girls did archery, and lots of other sports.
Today was the first day our youngest daughter, who is 4-years-old, ever shot a bow and arrow. She hit a blue balloon on her first shot (of course with help from her amazing coach)! It was amazing to see her face light up after making her first shot.


Helping


On our way back home the girls didn't want to go home, so we went for a little drive and I felt an urge to go towards a lake we like to walk around. As I began to park, I saw a man lying on the ground with people staring at him. Obviously, he was hurt, so I immediately called 911.

The girls and I noticed that no one was making eye-contact to help him. Some people were looking at him from a distance. Some people actually thought it was funny to see him hurt (which is strange).

Of course, I ran right up and starting talking to him. I told him I just called 911 and that he was going to be okay. I prayed for him and I helped him calm down. He could not move his legs and he was shaking. He did calm down after I talked to him for a while, but he could not respond. It looked like he had a stroke. I could not tell for sure. I realized that he probably could not speak English. He was Chinese. After about 10 minutes, his wife showed up and she was very upset. I gave her my phone number because it seemed like she did not know anyone in the United States to help her besides her husband. She wasn't calling any friends or family to help them. I was worried about her. I helped her understand that she needed to go into the ambulance with her husband.

As we left, the girls and I talked about the reactions of people around him. Why did some people just stare and not try to help? Why were some people so weird that they thought it was funny? Why are they like that?  This was completely in line with our preschool studies for this month, Friends and Feelings with Mother Goose Time.  Maybe some people are not able to respond in a caring way because they are de-sensitized? We talked about why some people don't care about other people, or just don't know how to show they care. Abusive parents, neglect, violent television programs, and violent video games are all things that destroy the ability for people to respond appropriately to other people's feelings, especially other people's pain.

 

The Escape Artist Hanging Out with the Skateboard Boys!


When we got home I was exhausted. I thought the girls were, too. Apparently, our 4-year-old was still up for some adventure.

She stood on a water bottle to unlocked the very high double bolted top locks and walked out the front door, when I was only around the corner in the kitchen. She even shut the door behind her. I was sitting in the living room and I was shocked to see her walk in the front door! I thought she was in her bedroom!

As she walked in she ran up to me and said, "Sorry mom, I was playing outside with the skateboard boys."

I felt her little heart and it was beating very fast. My heart was frozen in a moment of extreme gratitude that she was in my arms.

I had her walk outside with me and show me everything she did in detail. I also talked to the boys that she met up with and they explained exactly what they saw her doing. Basically, running down the street and telling them she can run really fast, which she can. After our investigation, we realized that she was outside for a total of about 3-5 minutes.




If anyone knows me, they know that I am very careful, super-paranoid and I would NEVER allow my child to be anywhere without me. The only reason why she got away is because she purposely unlocked both bolted locks by standing on a huge water bottle to do it. I was shocked. That was very sneaky and very adventurous. It scared the heck out of me.



Copyright Caroline Brooke
So, I immediately installed alarms on the door and windows. She was so mad at me for doing this. The alarm goes off really loud if a door opens and there is no way she will ever be able to get out again. It really upset her. So, I had to listen to her crying about this for a long time. (God, please help me.) I also moved the water bottles to a room far, far away from the front door. I am also looking around to see if she could ever use anything else to get out in the future. I also scared her by telling her about kidnapping. She is just so brave. God, please help. Thank God we have dogs that would
tear anyone up that tried anything.

I then remembered the time I snuck out when I was her age. I walked over to the boys house next door and just walked into their house without knocking. I remember that his mom looked at me really funny and just started laughing, and she was shocked. She also wasn't very happy that when she made us peanut butter and jelly sandwiches her son would only eat the crust and he gave me the inside of his sandwich. Later, my mom had to explain to me that you can't just walk into other peoples houses and start hanging out with them. They did have their front door unlocked. I'm not sure about my parents though. I do remember climbing on a lot of stuff to reach locks and climb into and out of things, so I wouldn't be surprised if I did the same thing she did to get out. I also remember playing karate with him, and when he started to win my pit bull dog appeared out of nowhere and held onto the hand he had been using to injure me. She did not break his skin, and he was beating me up pretty bad. He never did it again. Especially after my dad taught me to kick between the legs the next day. So, honestly, I see where she gets it from.

Music

Then, my husband got home and rushed out the door with our oldest daughter to church to play guitar with friends there. I went out shopping with our younger daughter and met up with them there later. While we were at church we had adventures, too. My oldest daughter loves to sing and was able to sing to a small group of people while we were there. That was the nice part. But there is more. I'm just so tired, I can't tell you more. I also don't want to traumatize you.

Copyright Caroline Brooke

Insomnia

So, either I was going to hit my pillow like a rock tonight, or I would stay up much too late. Truly, I want to go to sleep. Yes, homeschool families just sit inside all day and do nothing, right? The kids are un-socialized and lacking. Ha! My daughters are social butterflies and they are full of adventure. Let's just pray that I can get some sleep.





www.MotherGooseTime.com

No comments: